"Year of the Adopted Family" book release

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Make a Presence in the Community

Regardless of how long I have told stories, there is always a need to make a presence in the community. When I moved from Fresno, CA to Salt Lake City, UT, I had to let the area know that I have been telling stories for over 12 years.

This has not been my first time to move and re-start my storytelling career. Most of the time I was content with the slow-cooker method of spreading the word. With a logo created within the past month, I finally feel I can be more aggressive in marketing.

Fortunately, my time in California has been wonderful and I am still invited at least twice a year to tell stories or teach workshops. What a compliment when people are willing to fly you out rather than turn to the many local tellers!

For anyone who has had to move or will have to move, I suggest that you find the closest storytelling guild.

I admit that I am not a full-time storyteller though I plan to be in the future. Half of my time I work for Aflac. Yet, rather than settle in with a job, I first search for the storytelling guild. The friendships and mentorships found in these places are valuable. I credit much of my success and progress to the Brigham Young University Storytelling Club, the Voices of the Valley Storytelling Guild in California, and the Utah Storytelling Guild.

If you need to find a guild close to you, I would be happy to assist in your search. Feel free to contact me.

Rachel Hedman
Professional Storyteller
Co-Chair of Youth, Educators, and Storytellers Alliance
(801) 870-5799
rachel@storytellingadventures.com
http://www.rachelhedman.com

No comments: